was one of the first American nurses to enter Armenia after the war. She died from typhus at Erivan on May 17, 1919, being the first Near East Relief worker to give her life in service.
She arrived in Erivan during the height of the typhus epidemic when Armenian refugees from Turkey were dying on the streets at a rate of 190 a day. Miss Winchester was the first to respond to the call of relief doctors to serve in an emergency typhus ward hastily opened. She contracted the disease and died within ten days, before her eagerly awaited mail from home reached.
In her memory a nurses’ training school has been opened at the Edith May Winchester Memorial Hospital in Alexandropol, Armenia. From this school have been graduated the first nurses registered in the Armenian Republic. All were former orphan wards of the Near East Relief. They will form the faculty of a new government training school and the nucleus for a newer established Armenian Public Health Service.
In 1923, child actor Jackie Coogan produced a real circus for local children on the film set of Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with the Circus. The April 1923 issue of the New Near East magazine praised relief worker Miss Jessie Way, newly returned from Smyrna and Constantinople, as Jackie’s “chief and most willing assistant.” The circus was attended by 7,500 people who contributed $3,500 in clothing and condensed milk.
Miss Wilson, who has been assigned to work among girls in the Alexandropol orphanage, was graduated from St. Lawrence University, Canton, N.Y., and has been a teacher in science and vocational courses.
“A Close-up of Some Overseas Workers,” The New Near East magazine, Sept. 1923.
Miss Webster, a student of Lombard College, did canteen work with the Y.M.C.A. in France during the war. She was subsequently connected with the Galesburg and Knox County Free Kindergarten and the American Red Cross in her home town and will act for Near East Relief as orphanage director in Syria.
“A Close-up of Some Overseas Workers,” The New Near East magazine, Sept. 1923.
of Waukesha, Wisc., was the first Near East Relief worker to meet a violent death. He was slain by bandits, near Aleppo, Syria after having accompanied a convoy of orphans out of Harpoot. The children had been moved without mishap to safety and Mr. Wright, with three other relief workers and a native driver, were returning to Aleppo at the time. The bandits opened rifle fire upon the party without warning.
Wright was killed instantly. Enoch R. Applegate, another relief worker, was wounded at the same time.
(Mrs. Edmund Wilson) was born in Milford Center, Ohio. She was appointed to mission work on March 7, 1887, and sent to West Persia. She retired two years later but was reappointed March 17, 1902, and sailed for the second time in August, 1902. She died April 16, 1915, of typhus during the siege of Urumia when 15,000 refugees were crowded into the mission compound, provoking an outbreak of epidemics.
Refusal to abandon her duties in Diarbekir, where need for American relief workers at that time was especially pressing, cost the life of Miss Jessie D. Wallace, of Lansing, Mich., on February 28, 1920, at Mardin, following an operation for mastoiditis. Had the operation been performed sooner as physicians advised it probably would have been successful.
of Indiana, Pa., was appointed to mission work on December 8, 1879. He sailed September 9, 1880, for Persia and died July 2, 1916, at Tabriz. While on a furlough in America he was severely injured in November, 1912, in a railway accident from which he never fully recovered. After three years in America he returned to the Near East, going first to Tiflis and then to Tabriz, where he contracted typhoid fever while working among famine sufferers.
signed his Near East Relief contract in Paris, November 8, 1921, and was assigned to Oulou Kishla. Transferred to Samsoun in the summer of 1920 he was in the Transportation Department. He suffered from a severe attack of trachoma in 1921 and left Constantinople for Paris August 4, 1921. Mr. Wrong’s address is R.F.D. No. 1, Box 66, Pellston, Mich.
of Worcester, Mass., went to the Near East July 15, 1920. From Constantinople she was sent to Harpoot where she served 14 months superintending the distribution of food, clothing and orphanage equipment. She reached America February 12, 1922. She is now teaching in North Easton, Mass., her address being Hayward Street.
sailed February 28, 1920. She was assigned to the Caucasus but in May was transferred to Sivas. There she worked for about a year when she was attached to the Marsovan Unit. Thence she went to Harpoot where she was connected with the Medical Department and she did a strenuous task in Malatia. Bandits and typhus play a part in her story. IN the summer of 1922 she returned home by way of China. Miss Wood is now doing private nursing, her address 400 North 40th Street, Philadelphia, Pa.
of Berkeley, Calif., crossed on the “Leviathan” and was assigned to Akhalkalaki where she was in charge of the orphanage. When the disturbances forced the women workers out of the Caucasus, Miss Wolfe assisted in the transfer of many of her wards to Alexandropol and then returned to Constantinople. She came home in the summer of 1920. She is now in the Sales Department of the Pacific Palisades Association of Los Angeles. Her address is 829 North Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, California.
of Rutherford, N. J., was a member of the nursing force on the “Leviathan”. Stationed in Erivan and Etchmiadzin she did hospital, soup kitchen and clothing relief work, kept the books and ran a training school fro nurses. She returned by way of France July 21, 1920. At present she is Superintendent of Nursing at Ward’s Island, New York City.
of Wellesley, Mass., sailed January 25, 1919, on the “Pensacola”, and aided Dr. Barton in establishing relief work throughout Anatolia, Turkish Armenia and Cilicia. After his return he served as a national speaker. In January, 1922, Dr. and Mrs. Wirt sailed from San Francisco , and went to Hawaii, the Philippines, Japan, China and Australia, organizing Near East Relief Committees, and then on to Syria and the other Near East Relief areas to study the orphanage and relief work. In early 1924 he went with a tourist ship lecturing on the relief work and interesting the passengers in it. He returned in April, 1924. His address is 900 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, Calif.
crossed on July 15, 1920, worked in various capacities at the Constantinople Headquarters and with the exception of a short furlough in the States, remained in the Near East until February, 1922. Married to Captain Winslow on November 1, 1922, she is now living at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
of New York City, crossed on the “Leviathan” and was assigned to the Caucasus. She reached America September 11, 1923, traveled back to Russia and is now in Kemerovo.
sailed as above, reaching Marash in June, 1919. As director of the Unit Dr. Wilson administered aid through feeding to 5,000 women and children, cared for 1,500 orphans and ran a hospital for Turks and one for Armenians and French. Leaving the medical work in charge of Dr. Bell, Dr. and Mrs. Wilson went to Beirut in June, 1920, and reached home as above. For address see above.
(Mrs. Marion C.), of Vauxhall, N. J., accompanied her husband on the “Leviathan” and with him went to Marash where she aided in relief and hospital activities. With Dr. Wilson she returned September 16, 1920 and may be addressed 349 Lambuth Building, Nashville, Tenn.
of Watertown, Mass., went over January 16 1919, and was billeted to Smyrna. Mr. Willson is now a Lieutenant in the First Cavalry and may be addressed at Marfa, Texas.
of New York City, started across October 12, 1921, reached Constantinople on the 31st and was assigned to the Inquiry and Relief Department. She resigned in the Spring of 1922, is now living at 1938 Webster Avenue, New York City, and has a position as office manager.
of Manitowec, Wis., enlisted with Near East Relief in Constantinople and was assigned to Harpoot which she reached early in December, 1921. There she was connected with the Medical Department of the Mezereh Near East Relief Hospital. When the children were evacuated from Harpoot she brought out several hundreds, having an exciting bandit experience en route. She left Constantinople for the States February 4, 1923. At the moment she is at home in Manitowec, Wisconsin (1205 Manila Street), doing nursing.
did secretarial work in Aleppo. She left Beirut for home July 15, 1920, reaching America August 29. She is now doing secretarial work in Eden Park, R. I., her address being 35 Tallman Avenue.
(Mrs. Richard E.), of New Canaan, Conn., as Miss Anderson, was a member of Miss Andress’s party of November 22, 1919. See Elizabeth H. Anderson. In March, 1921, Miss Anderson was married in Manila, P. I. to Richard E. White. She may be addressed care Mrs. Henry C. Thatcher, 172 East 71st Street, New York City.
signed on in Paris, October 30, 1919, and was assigned to the Caucasus where he served at Alexandropol and Tiflis and returned home September 16, 1920. His present address is South Attleboro, Mass.
(Mrs. Charles T.), as Miss Goetz sailed on May 12, 1921. She was attached to the secretarial corps at the Constantinople Headquarters and then went to the Caucasus where at Alexandropol and Tiflis she did valuable work in the search for missing persons and the reuniting of families. Married to Mr. White, her address is as above.
of New York City, went overseas September 18, 1920, as assistant to Mr. Burdick in installing a new system of bookkeeping. In April, 1921, he and Melville Chater went as supercargoes on the “Quequen,” the first food ship to start for Batoum since February. Later he went to Tiflis as Director of Finance and Supplies. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Caucasus (1922). The summer of 1923 witnessed his marriage to Miss Goetz at Alexandropol. They returned August 22, 1923. Mr. White is now Bursar at the Union Theological Seminary, Broadway and 120th Street, New York City.
made his contract with Near East Relief in Paris, November 8, 1919, and was sent to Broussa where he remained during the advent of the Greek troops in the summer of 1920. He came home to America in December. 1920. He is now in the roofing business in Cosmopolis, Wash.
of Newton Centre, Mass., went overseas with the first party on the “Mercurius” and was sent to Marash and then to Urfa where he did valuable service in the station directed by Miss Holmes. He was there during the siege and like Mr. Weaver her is repeatedly mentioned in Miss Holmes’ book. He was able to leave Urfa for Aleppo, May 30, 1920, returned to America, August 8, 1920, and is now engaged in banking in Boston with a home address at 110 Glen Avenue, Newton Centre, Mass.
(Mrs. Hanson Hart), of Woburn, Mass., sailed July 1, 1919, and spent a year in Constantinople in charge of garment relief. She left for the States July 10, 1920. Married in 1921 Mrs. Webster is now living at 1647 Beacon Street, Brookline, Mass., conducting her household and continuing her writing which had reached the book publication stage before she went to the Near East.
of Colorado, was one of the Mennonite group on the “Siboney,” February 28, 1920. He was attached to the Urfa Unit and is often mentioned by Miss Holmes in her book. “Between the Lines.” At the end of 1921 he was at Aintab and he left Beirut for America, April 17, 1922. He is now developing an agricultural project at La Junta, Colorado (Route No. 1).
of East Barnet, Vermont, was a member of the second Near East Relief party sailing January 16, 1919. He was stationed at Oulou Kishla. He was obliged to come home on account of illness. He may be addressed care William C. Atwater & Co., Bluefield, West Virginia.
signed on with Near East Relief in Constantinople April 23, 1919 and was sent to Harpoot because of his previous missionary experience there. His service brought him in contract with Turkish officialdom and his reports of what he had seen of the treatment of the refugees were impossible for the Turks to explain away. Among his personal troubles was an attack of typhus in January, 1922. Dr. Ward returned to America, June 17, 1922. Dr. Ward returned to America, June 17, 1922. He is now Personnel Secretary for the A.B.C.F.M. at 14 Beacon Street, Boston, Mass.
of Bloomsburg, Pa., left America on June 24, 1919, and was sent to Aleppo district. She did industrial work at Urfa and was there during the siege. In August, 1920, she went to Deir-el-Kamar where she acted as Matron but returned to Miss Holmes’ assistance at Urfa in early 1921. In July 1921, she reached Aleppo on her way to the States where she reached October 14, 1921. Miss Waller is now a cataloguer in the University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky. Her permanent address is 516 Market Street, Bloomsburg, Pa.
of the International Film Service, reached Constantinople in December, 1919, and visited many stations in various areas taking pictures, both motion and still, for publicity use in America. He left Constantinople for home via Greece, in May, 1920. His address is Hotel Albert, University Place and 11th Street, New York City.
of Pennsylvania, signed with Near East Relief in France and was sent to Syria. He served at Mardin in the Quartermaster and Transport Department He is now a merchant of Thompson, Pa.
of Muscatine, Iowa, one of the “Leviathan” nurses, was assigned to Smyrna where she aided Mrs. Van Etten with the orphanage children. She came home in March, 1920. She may be addressed 903 Iowa Avenue, Muscatine, Iowa.
of San Francisco, Calif., a “Leviathan” passenger, was assigned to Diarbekir where she had four years of arduous and exciting experiences. For a part of the time she had the sole responsibility, no other American being at the station. For a time she and Dr. Abby Noyes Little shared the difficulties. Miss Wade reached America August 1, 1923, and is now lecturing for Near East Relief in California and living at 1106 Bush Street, San Francisco.