Member of the Caucasus Mission, 1919 – 1920.
, or “Daddy” Phelp as he was affectionately known, was of English birth and parentage. He served with the English Army during the World War, and served as Railway Transportation officer of the Near East Relief in the Caucasus. He came to the United States to visit relatives in1922. While in this country he made several speaking tours in behalf of the Near East Relief. He died in New York of appendicitis on December 12, 1923, on the eve of his scheduled sailing for England en route to the Caucasus, where he had planned to renew relief work.
sailed on February 16, 1919, on the “Leviathan.” He was assigned to Mardin, where he managed the boys’ orphanage and the laboratory. He took over the Directorship of the Aintab Unit before the ending of the siege (February, 1921) and was instrumental in restoring some degree of normal living among the people. In September, 1921, he was connected with the U. S. Consulate at Smyrna where he stayed for a year. He is now Vice-Consul at Constantinople.
of Holland, Mich., signed with Near East Relief in Constantinople in 1921 and went to Rodosto as Director of the farm experiment that develop so well for the refugees until the deportation sent them trekking into Greece. In the Spring of 1922 he was transferred to Sivas where he aided in handling the terrible situation in that interior station. He returned to the United States in November, 1922, and is now a salesman in Holland, Mich., his address being 18 East 16th Street.
(Miss), of Detroit, Mich., left the United States on March 16, 1920, for nursing work. Failing to be able to remain in the Caucasus because of troubled conditions she was sent to Ismid. There she and Miss Passmore did heavy medical and refugee work until the coming of Dr. Elliott, who took over the medical duties, and of Miss Strowger, who concentrated on the refugees, left the two nurses free to devote themselves to the hospital situation. Reaching the Caucasus at last Miss Priest served at Erivan and Alexandropol (Polygon) until her release in July, 1923. She reached America October 19, 1923. She is now engaged in Public Health work in Detroit, Mich., her address being 503 Fine Arts Building.
(Mrs. Armstrong C.), did relief work in Karaklis and came to the States as above.
of New York City was a member of the medical personnel of the Near East Relief that crossed in the “Leviathan.” He was attached to the Unit sent to Smyrna which left Derindje with its hospital and laboratory equipment on April 10, 1919. He assisted in the difficult task of setting in order the old Turkish hospital in a part of which the American hospital was opened. Then he was sent to the Caucasus and stationed (July, 1919) at Karaklis. He returned to New York, March 22, 1920, and is now living in Gallup, New Mexico.
of Princeton, N. J., who had experience as a medical missionary both in Turkey and Constantinople since 1903, took up work for the Armenian and Syrian Relief organization, the forerunner of Near East Relief, in 1918, and has been a the service of the organization since then at several times of emergency. For example, he was working with Miss Cushman’s orphans in June, 1922. At the time of the Smyrna disaster he was asked by Near East Relief to go at once to Smyrna and take charge of the medical situation. During the following month he surveyed the sanitary conditions at the Rodosto farm experiment colony. Aiding in the transfer of orphans from Anatolia he took a shipload of them to the island of Euboea in February, 1923, and is now in charge of the American Hospital in Constantinople.
of California, sailed on the “Pannonia” on November 22, 1919, and was sent to Samsoun. With this Black Sea port the chief outlet for Anatolia, there was heavy hospital work to be done in addition to a thousand clinic patients a month. Dr. Pomeroy reached New York City May 22, 1921, and is now living in Burbank, Calif., P. O. Box 124.
of Plainfield, N. J., and New York City, was a member of the Wellesley Unit that crossed on the “Leviathan” and was assigned to the Constantinople Area. She did case work in Constantinople as chairman of the Case Work Committee. She aided with the care of the Russian refugees on the island of Proti. After about two years in Constantinople she was transferred to the Caucasus where she built up the work in Djalal Oghli. She returned to America, January, 1923, but went back tot Russia with the Friends’ Society in whose care she may now be addressed at Bunzuluk, Somara.
signed with Near East Relief in Paris on June 30, 1919. He was attached to the Broussa Unit and came to America February 29, 1920. He may be addressed care W. R. Ostrander & Co., 193 Broadway, New York City.
(Miss), of Philadelphia, Pa., who had been stationed in Talas for the American Board and who worked with the Persian Commission of the Near East Relief in the Spring of 1919, signed with Near East Relief in November, 1919. Attached as before to the Caesarea Unit she had charge of special relief and of the care of scabies. In the Spring of 1922 she suffered an attack of typhus after which she came home, reaching America July 2, 1922. On May 15, 1923, she went again to the foreign field for the American Board in whose care she may be addressed, 14 Beacon Street, Boston, Mass.
(Miss), yet another of the “Leviathan’s” passengers on February 16, 1919, went to Marsovan where she had charge of the industrial relief. Later she was at Samsoun. She returned to the United States December 2, 1921. She is at present working in the Cleveland Associated Charities, her address being 2215 Devonshire Drive, Cleveland, O.
(Mrs.), as Mrs. Underwood, crossed on the “Leviathan” on February 16, 1919, and was assigned to Smyrna where she took charge of the American Relief orphanage for girls, connected with which was a day nursery and an investigating department. She stayed in Smyrna until May 1, 1920. Mrs. Peterson’s address is now 1610 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, Mich.
of Hartford, Conn., crossed February 16, 1919, and was sent to the Caucasus where he warded off starvation and disease from some 850 orphans. At Erivan he was in charge of the industrial work when he suffered an attack of typhus. In May, 1920, he came back to the States, and worked in the personnel department of the Near East Relief. He is now studying at the Theological Seminary of Hartford, Conn., preparing to return to Turkey under the American Board in the summer of 1924. His address is 155 Broad Street.
(Miss), of Detroit, sailed October 14, 1920, and was assigned in Constantinople to aid Miss Emma Cushman at the Near East Relief Trachoma Hospital (November 1920). In the Spring of 1921 she was assigned to the Caucasus where she served at Erivan, Karaklis and Djalal Oghli. With Dr. Elfie Graff she established at Dilijan a sanitarium for tubercular children. In May, 1922, she left the Caucasus for Constantinople and in June started for America. Her address is 49 Willis Avenue, Detroit, Mich.
signed with Near East Relief from the Base Hospital at Fort Sill, Okla., and crossed with the “Leviathan” party of which his sister, Miss Adeline Peers, was also a member. Sent to Aintab Mr. Peers was there during the difficult days of the siege. His address now is 106 Packard Street, Ann Arbor, Mich.
was appointed to Tiflis in 1919 and was stationed at Akhalkalaki in 1920. He left Constantinople for America August 4, 1921. His address is 318 West Lexington Avenue, Ashland, Ky.
(Miss), of Mississippi, crossed on the “Leviathan,” February 16, 1919, She served in Aleppo and returned to the States August 11, 1920. Her address at the moment is 1333 Buchanan Street, Topeka, Kans.
(Rev.), of Appleton, Wis., sailed in February 16, 1919, for the Near East. He was stationed at Samsoun. He came back to the States January 20, 1920. Rev. Mr. Peabody is a Congregational clergyman and may be addressed care the Y. M. C. A. of Moline, Ill.
(Miss), of New York City, crossed July 1, 1919 with the Y. W. C. A. group and was assigned to the Service Centre at Constantinople. Later she went to Sivas and took charge of the Rescue and Industrial Home, where about 140 girls saved from Turkish harems were made happy and self-supporting. Miss Peabody and twenty other Near East Relief workers were detained by Turks in Samsoun in December, 1920. Miss Peabody is now General Secretary, Y. W. C. A., 87 South Broadway, Yonkers, N. Y.
also crossed on the “Leviathan,” his work being that of X-Ray operator. He went to all areas. See above for return and present address.
(Mrs. Wm. B.), of Massachusetts, went as Dr. Carr on the “Leviathan” with the medical force as roentgenologist. She covered the entire field installing, supervising and teaching X-Ray work in the various hospitals. She returned November 28, 1919. Dr. Carr-Patterson may be addressed 327 West 78th Street, New York City.
of Randolph, Vt., crossed on the “Patria” leaving New York City July 1, 1919. He was assigned to Adana where he served when the district was in an uproar and when the refugees from Marash took sanctuary in Adana. On June 22, 1920, he reached Beirut on his way to America which he reached July 23, 1920. Mr. Patterson is now Superintendent of Schools in Randolph, Vt.
(Miss), of Westwood, N. J., boarded the “Siboney” on February 28, 1920, and upon her arrival at Constantinople was sent to the Caucasus. Conditions there obliged the return of many women relief workers. Miss Passmore among them. She was then assigned to Sivas but before she could start an emergency call sent her to Ismid (August 28, 1920). Out of the necessities of the refugees grew a hospital; the addition or relief workers to the staff gave Miss Passmore and Miss Priest time to attend to the nursing work exclusively and the coming of a physician, Dr. Mabel Elliott, relieved them of medical and surgical responsibility. Miss Passmore reached America May 29, 1921. She is now engaged in Public Health work in Abbeville, S. C.
of Baltimore, Md., was one of the medical personnel on the “Leviathan.” She was assigned to Harpoot. There she ran a daily clinic in the city for women and children, shared in the care of the 100-child home units of the orphanage, managed the home for girls rescued from Turkish harems, administered the maternity hospital and found typhus. Deported from Turkey by the Kemalists in January, 1922, she went via Aleppo and Constantinople to America, May, 1922, returning to the Near East late in September and taking up the superintendence of medical work at a refugee camp near Salonica. She has also taken charge of the industrial work for refugee women established by the American Board at Salonica. She may be addressed care the A. B. C. F. M., 14 Beacon Street, Boston, Mass.
(Mrs. H. C.), of Frostburg, Md., as Miss Dando, joined the “Leviathan” party of February 16, 1919. She was assigned to Mardin August, 1919, and in October, 1919, was transferred to Diarbekir where she aided in opening the hospital. On July 9, 1920, she reached home once more. Mrs. Parmelee is now living in Sanford, Florida (Route A).
(Miss), of New York City and Pomerania, N. J., left America on the “Madonna” July 15, 1920, reaching Constantinople, August 6. In October she joined the Harpoot Unit. February, 1921, found her in Samsoun, which she left in April, making the journey to Harpoot by wagon. In the Spring of 1922 she was in Aleppo and Beirut and returned to the United States in July, 1922. Miss Parker, with Walter E. Curt and Elizabeth Morgan, went through a bandit experience more enjoyable in retrospect than at the time. She is now living at 1532 McLemore Avenue, Memphis, Tenn.
(Rev.), of Texas, left New York, October 12, 1921. Going to the Caucasus he was appointed to the office of Finance and Supplies at the Tiflis headquarters (December, 1921). Later he served at Jalal Oghli (1922). In the Spring of 1923 he was stationed on the Island of Halki near Constantinople caring fro some 2,500 Greek refugees held there before being admitted to the mainland. There he had the misfortune to contract typhus. His address is Goliad, Tex.