Member of the Caucasus Mission, 1919 – 1920.
Member of the Caucasus Mission, 1919 – 1920.
Mr. Martin, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and special student of Columbia University, served with the American Army in France and later was connected with the Red Cross in France and Roumania. From August, 1920 to December, 1922 he was with Near East Relief in the Caucasus, since which time he has been in the United States making a study of market conditions for Near East products in this country, to facilitate the organization’s purpose in creating a demand here for orphanage-made products that will help to make the orphan children of the Near East self-supporting. Mr. Martin has returned to Alexandropol to supervise the output of the orphanage workshops.
“A Close-up of Some Overseas Workers,” The New Near East magazine, Sept. 1923.
of Princetown, Prince Edward’s Island, Canada, was appointed to mission work on January 10, 1882. She sailed August 1, 1882, for East Persia. She died November 6, 1917, in Hamadan, Persia. Though her illness was contracted before the war her sufferings were made more acute during her last days by the terror and misery about her.
(Miss), of Hinsdale, Ill., sailed on the “Pannonia” with Miss Andress’s party on November 22, 1919, and after much difficulty was established in the Caucasus. She was in Alexandropol in August, 1920, and was among those who stayed on in the Caucasus after the fall of Kars (November, 1920). February, 1921, found her once more in Constantinople but on May 4 she sailed again for the Caucasus which she reached on the 16th. In July she and two other women went with a food ship from Constantinople to Batoum. In September she was ministering to the refugees in Erivan. During the greater part of 1922 she was in Tiflis. She reached home February 21, 1923. Miss Myers is now attending a shorthand college in Hinsdale, Ill. Her address is 46 First Street.
of Lancaster, Pa., left New York, February 28, 1920. He went to the Beirut-Aleppo Area for transportation service which took him through some perilous experiences in the interior. He reached New York November 12, 1921. Mr. Myer is now a mechanic in an automobile electric service station in Lancaster, Pa., his address being 540 North Plum Street.
(Miss), of Hartford, Conn., signed with Near East Relief in Constantinople on April 8, 1922. She did orphanage work at Trebizond and from there was transferred to Samsoun (July 17, 1922) when Mr. Crutcher took over that station. After Smyrna she aided in the transfer of 2,000 Samsoun orphans to Greece. In May, 1923, Miss Murless severed her connection with Near East Relief. She reached the United States in the autumn of 1923 and is now living at 53 Washington Square, New York City. She is connected with the 39th Street Neighborhood Centre.
(Miss), signed with Near East Relief as nurse, September 6, 1919. She joined the Harpoot Unit and was appointed to Arabkir, a remote mountain city of 15,000 people. In February, 1920, the house in which she was living was burned and she and her fellow-workers lost all their clothes and equipment. She had the medical care of 450 children and for a time was the only October in twelve towns in the district. She returned in the autumn of 1922 by way of Scotland to America, where she spoke for Near East Relief for some time. She is now living at 27 Claremont Place, Aberdeen, Scotland.
(Miss), of Newtown, Mass., sailed on September 18, 1920, to join the nursing personnel overseas. Assigned to the Caucasus she worked at Tiflis and then was re-assigned to Caesarea. Here she stayed until her return to the States, January 14, 1922. Miss Munro is now an X-Ray Technician. Her address is 1 Arundel Terrace, Newton, Mass.
of Olean, N. Y., was in Paris when he enlisted with Near East Relief. He arrived in Constantinople January 27, 1922. Being attached to the news service, he moved from one area to another gathering material. He was decorated by Greece, Russia, Montenegro and Rumania. On October 12, 1923, he reached America where he may be addressed at Olean, N. Y.
(Miss), of Montclair, N. J., sailed February 16, 1919, as a member of the nursing personnel of the Near East Relief. Attached to the corps at Mardin she served during the early and very difficult days. She returned December 9, 1920. Her present address is 305 Halsey Street, Newark, N. J., where she is Resident Superintendent of the Newark Female Charitable Society and Director of the Fresh Air Home.
(Miss), signed with Near East Relief in Constantinople and worked in the Caucasus. Miss Morey is now with the Travelers’ Aid Society, 465 Lexington Avenue, New York City.
(Miss), of Chicago, Ill., was a member of the Smith College Unit when she sailed on February 16, 1919. The Smith Unit took over the work at Malatia with its varied activities – an Armenian Orphanage, a Home for Defectives and an Industrial Department among them. In June, 1920, Miss Moore was re-assigned to the Samsoun Unit. She started for home November 15, 1920, and is now living in Santa Paula, Calif., (P. O. Box 743), where she is doing secretarial work.
of Ohio, signed with Near East Relief in Rumania in February, 1921, and was assigned to Bardizag. He was under fire at Ismid, served as Sivas, evacuated hundreds of children to Greece, convoying boys to Kavalla and Syra, and worked with refugees. He returned to America May 9, 1924, and may be addressed, Lebanon, Ohio (R. F. D. 1.)
of Berkeley, Calif., crossed on the “Leviathan” with the medical personnel. Stationed in the Caucasus she served at Etchmiadzin and Erivan during the period when the refugee situation was terrific and just a beginning was made with orphanage work. Dr. Mitchell is now living in California but may be reached by addressing her 228 9th Street, Plainfield, N. J.
of Hartford, Conn., returned to the States on November 25, 1919, from service in Alexandropol. He may be addressed care Prof. Edwin K. Mitchell, 57 Gillett Street, Hartford, Conn.
(Miss), of Williamsport, Pa., sailed on October 12, 1921. In Constantinople she served as Secretary to the Managing Director of the Constantinople-Greece Area; in the Caucasus she was Secretary to the Director General and in Palestine, Secretary to the Managing Director. She reached the States on May 6, 1924, and may be addressed 1515 Walnut Street, Williamsport, Pa.
(Mrs.), of Jacksonville, Fla., went out in June, 1921, to join her daughter, Caris, in Constantinople. She acted as hostess of the Personnel House until August 29, 1922, when she was released by Near East Relief and with Miss Mills became connected with the Neutral Home of the League of Nations in Constantinople.
(Miss), of Princeton, N. J., started for the Near East July 1, 1919, and served in Constantinople until August 29, 1922, with the Near East Relief news service. Her observations of the different activities of the organization were told in letters reproduced by the Editorial Department in New York and in articles in “Near East Relief” and the “New Near East.” In the summer of 1922, Miss Mills was released by Near East Relief and is now affiliated with the Neutral Home of the League of Nations in Constantinople.
(Miss), of Berkeley, Calif., went across with the “Leviathan” party. After more than a year of hospital work in Erivan she came back to America in September, 1920. Her present address is 2521 Piedmont Avenue, Berkeley, Calif.
left the States January 25, 1919, and came back in March of the following year, 1920. His work with Near East Relief was in the Beirut Area. When he returned to the Near East in September, 1920, it was to serve in the Caucasus with the Mennonite Relief Commission. Mr. Miller is now a shoe manufacturer at Akron, Pa., speaking on Mennonite Relief work in his spare time.
of Indiana, left the States on August 20, 1921, on the “Patria.” Set to Syria she arrived at Beirut in September, 1921, and served in the Beirut Area until October, 1923, when she came home. She is now living at 145 Indiana Avenue, Elkhart, Ind., and acting as Secretary to the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities. At present she is making a circuit of the Mennonite Churches in northern Indiana, speaking on Near East Relief work.
was in Paris when he signed with Near East Relief. He served in the Caucasus in the summer of 1919 and reached the states October 29, 1919. He may be addressed 501 Avon Street, Flint, Mich.
of Fentress, Va., sailed November 5, 1919. He acted as Director of Transportation in Beirut and afterwards at Sidon and came home in December, 1921. He is now farming in Conway, Kans. (R. F. D. No. 2.)
of Chicago, Ill., with experience as quartermaster, agriculturalist and superintendent of a boys’ home, went on the “Leviathan.” He was assigned to Mardin. He came home May 16, 1920. He is now serving as a missionary at Dhamtari, C. P., India.
(Miss), of Boston, trained as teacher and orphanage matron, crossed on the “Leviathan.” Later she was billeted to Beirut. She returned to America August, 1920, and is now in Boston, Mass., 112 Jersey Street, teaching English to foreigners.
of New York City, was on the “Leviathan’s” list, booked for relief work. He served at Tiflis, Erivan and Alexandropol and returned March 7, 1921. He may be addressed care Mrs. F. A. Meeks, 52 Tuckahoe Road, Yonkers, N. Y.
enlisted with Near East Relief at Olcott, Texas, and left on January 16, 1919. He worked in Harpoot establishing weaving and other industries until May, 1920, when he started for home, reaching New York, August 8, 1920. He may be addressed 93 Crawford Street, Lowell, Mass.
of Boston joined the “Leviathan” party and went to Ordu. For more than a year she did relief work there where both Armenian and Greek orphanages were administered from Trebizond. She returned to America June 7, 1920. She is now living at 191 Newbury Street, Brockton, Mass., and acting as High School physician. Her permanent address is Falmouth, Mass.
of Florida, joined Near East Relief from the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, being listed among the medical personnel that went over on the “Leviathan.” He was assigned to the Caucasus and ministered to the medical needs of Alexandropol, Karaklis and Kars. He returned home in July, 1920. He is now doing medical teaching at the New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn.
(Mrs. Edward F.), of New York City, went across with the “Leviathan” party starting from New York February 16, 1919. Her work was sanitary, hygienic and nursing in Caesarea. A year after her arrival she started fro America, but found conditions so disturbed as to make traveling dangerous, so she went back to her post. In May, 1921, she was in Constantinople filling a three months’ contract. October saw her in America where she married Edward F. Martin and returned with him to the Near East. See Above. While Mr. Martin was stationed in the Caucasus Mrs. Martin ran the Personnel House for a while and did some nursing. For address see above.
of Wisconsin, signed with Near East Relief in Paris. In July, 1919, he was assigned to the Supply Base at Oulou Kishla where he arrived in August. Later he went to Caesarea where he took charge of the Boys’ Industrial School. In May, 1921, he was connected with the Transportation Department at Constantinople and in September returned to America where he married Miss Rachel King, whose acquaintance he had made in Caesarea. Together they returned in December of the same year, Mr. Martin taking the post of Director of the Warehouses at Derindje. In June, 1923, he closed them, transferring the remaining supplies to Ortakeuy. That accomplished the Martins went to Alexandropol where Mr. Martin was Superintendent of Transportation. Released in November, 1923, Mr. and Mrs. Martin reached America in January, 1924. They may be addressed care Rev. J. S. King, Little Britain, Orange Co., N. Y.
(Miss), of Pennsylvania, joined her brother, Clark D. Martin, as a volunteer worker in the Caucasus. From February, 1922, to February, 1923, she served in Erivan. Her present address is Pine Grove, Pa., where she is a merchant.
(Miss), of Pittsburgh, Pa., was in Paris when she enlisted with the Near East Relief. She reached Constantinople early in March, 1922, and in the summer went on to the Caucasus where she served at Alexandropol. She returned to America July 23, 1923, worked with the Pittsburgh Near East Relief office and may be addressed 986 Lilac Street, Pittsburgh, Pa.
(Miss), of Suffern, N. Y., sailed February 28, 1920. She did relief work in the Caucasus. In July, 1920, she was in Constantinople on her way to Samsoun and in December of the same year she was again in Constantinople assigned to Adana. An eager class in English was among her experiences there. In May, 1921, she was in charge of the Constantinople Industrial Workshop store. Miss Marks may be addressed care Rev. R. B. Marks, 24 Wayne Avenue, Suffern, N. Y.
of Pennsylvania, crossed April 30, 1921, for Constantinople, whence he went to the Caucasus Area. There he served as District Commander at Polygon, Alexandropol, and at Karaklis. He reached America once more July 13, 1922. Mr. Margerum is now in New York City (505 Fifth Avenue), engaged in the production of multigraphed, mimeographed and photostatic fac-similes.
(Mrs. Richard), assigned to the Beirut Area in Sep, 1919, served at Urfa during the hostilities and was transferred from there to Aleppo in April, 1920, and on to Jerusalem as Matron in August, 1920. She left Beirut for Paris in September, 1920. Mrs. Mansfield’s present address is The Grange, New London, Conn.
of Pennsylvania, joined the relief workers of the “Leviathan” party and went to the Beirut Area. His duties were performed at Shuf and he returned to the United States May 16, 1920. He is now an Internal revenue Agent at Denver, Colo., 203 Custom House.
(Miss), of New York City went on the “Leviathan” and was sent to Aleppo. She was given charge of the workwomen in the Aleppo industrial rooms and did not come back to New York until July 15, 1920. She is now connected with the New York State Office of Near East Relief and is living at 1020 Woodycrest Avenue, New York City.
of Boston, Mass., joined the medical staff of Near East Relief and sailed on July 1, 1919. She was sent to Malatia. She served there and at Sivas and Harpoot and reached America May 11, 1921. Her present address is 84 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, Mass.
(Miss), of Jamaica Plain, Mass., left the States on March 16, 1920, booked for hospital work in the Caucasus. Owing to the troubled state of that area she was unable to go there but was sent forward from Constantinople to Samsoun. Thence she was transferred to Harpoot for hospital work. In October, 1921, she was assigned to Rodosto, the farm colony in Thrace, where she did medical work. On May 20, 1922, she left Constantinople for America where she arrived June 16, 1922. Her present address is 5 Bellmore Terrace, Jamaica Plain, Mass.
(Miss), of Rockland Co., N. Y., joined the nursing personnel on the “Leviathan” and went to the Caucasus where she served at Erivan and Tiflis and in Shush during the hostilities. In October, 1919, she was in Batoum in charge of 6,000 refugees, working with only native helpers. She came back February 16, 1920, and is now doing relief work in Hillburn, Rockland Co., N. Y.
of Philadelphia, Pa., sailed June 30, 1921. He took charge of the Finance Department in Constantinople. From there he went to Harpoot where he remained from September 12, 1921, until his return to America in the summer of 1922. Mr. MacKenzie is now in Paris studying at the Sorbonne. Letters sent to 2223 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, Pa., will be forwarded to him.
(Rev.), of Southampton, Mass., sailed on January 25, 1919, and did relief work at Kars. He came back December 20, 1919. Rev. Mr. MacGeehon is now pastor of the Congregational Church at Northboro, Mass.
of Pennsylvania, enlisted with Near East Relief in Constantinople and went at once to Batoum as assistant to the Regulating Officer (June 20, 1920-1921). In November, 1921, he went out to Alexandropol where he was stationed at Polygon. After the Smyrna disaster he directed Near East Relief work on the Greek Islands with headquarters at Mitylene and Crete. In December, 1922, he severed his connection with Near East Relief. His present address is 158 Chemung Street, Waverly, N. Y.
(Mrs. Lawrence H.) sailed at the same time. She did clerical work at Harpoot. See above.
of Dorchester, Mass., went with the “Leviathan” party and was booked to establish the agricultural work at Harpoot He returned to this country July 15, 1920, is now on the teaching staff of Cornell University and is living at 422 Chestnut Street, Ithaca, N. Y.
(Miss), was on the staff of Constantinople College when she signed with Near East Relief for the summer vacation of 1920. In September she signed for a year a contract which was renewed a year later. She always worked in Constantinople, connected with the Near East Relief workshops. She reached America October 1, 1922. At present she is engaged in social service in Philadelphia, her address 4511 Kingsessing Avenue.
of Washington, D. C., signed with Near East Relief in Constantinople in late 1921. He sailed November 4, for the Caucasus, assigned to Karaklis. Starting fro home from Karaklis, where he had been District Commander temporarily, Mr. McNabb was turned back at Constantinople and assigned to Kazachi Post, Alexandropol (August 8, 1922). After the Smyrna disaster he went to Greece, assisted in the evacuation of Sivas, helping to bring out the Sivas orphans through Marsovan to Samsoun (December, 1922, and January, 1923) and worked with them until August, 1923, when he started once more for America. Mr. McNabb worked in Greece finding orphanage locations for the great influx of children from Anatolia and setting them in their new homes. Mr. McNabb may be addressed 129 South 2nd Street, Alhambra, Calif.
(Miss), of New York City, signed with Near East Relief in France. She was sent to do relief work in Homs, Syria. She served there from October 7, 1919 to July 23, 1920, when she was able to leave the town in a cart escorted by King Hussein’s Hedjaz Camel Corps. On the way to Beirut they were attacked by bandits. From Beirut she went north to Aleppo to await an opportunity to enter Marash which was still in disturbance. In September, 1920, she set forth under the protection of 2,000 French troops. After an exciting week in Aintab, which was in siege, she slipped out of the town with a Turkish escort during a two-hour armistice. In Marash, reached with such difficulty, she remained from September 21, 1920, until the same date of the following year. She was decorated with the cross of the Legion of Honor for her services for the French wounded. She reached home, November 11, 1921, and is now speaking and doing field work for the New York State office of Near East Relief. Her address is 530 Riverside Drive.
(Miss), of Muscatine, Iowa, sailed on the “Leviathan” with the nursing personnel. She was assigned to Marsovan. She reached the States August 24, 1920. In 1922 she went to China where she is now attached to a hospital in Tientsin, Shantung Province.
served in the Urumia District, at Tabriz and at Bagdad. See above.
served in Baghdad as Near East Relief Director. In the autumn of 1922 he went to Constantinople with the Nestorian Mission. In the early summer of 1923 he reached New York. He and Mrs. McDowell may be addressed care Presbyterian Board of Missions, 156 Fifth Avenue, New York City.