(Miss), of Australia, went to the Near East from France in October, 1919, entering service with Near East Relief and assigned to Aleppo. She was transferred to the hospital at Tripoli, August 15, 1920. In May, 1921, she left Beirut for her home in Australia and reached America in July, 1921. She is now nursing in New York City and may be addressed care Rev. E. B. Chaffee, 239 East 14th Street.
(Captain), signed with Near East Relief in Constantinople on September 3, 1919, and served at Tiflis. He left the Caucasus December 8, 1919, reaching America February 29, 1920. He is now American Vice-Consul, Zurich, Switzerland.
went over on the “Leviathan” with the medical personnel to do dental work in the various Near East Relief areas. His present address is 67 West 12th Street, New York City.
(Miss), was in France when she signed with Near East Relief on September 8, 1919, as Relief Secretary in the Finance Department. She served at Aleppo and Beirut and on June 19, 1920, was transferred to the Headquarters Office at Constantinople. On January 14, 1921, she left Constantinople by way of France for home which she reached March 22, 1921. She is now teaching in a Chicago, Illinois, High School, her address, 7116 Eggleston Avenue.
(Miss), of White Plains, New York, went over with the “Leviathan” party on February 16, 1919, and was assigned to Sivas. She worked at Caesarea. She left Constantinople for home by way of Marseilles on July 28, 1920. She may be addressed 29 Lafayette Street, White Plains, N.Y.
was with the Y. M. C. A. in N.Y.C. when he signed with Near East Relief and sailed on June 30, 1921. Hew as booked to Constantinople and the Caucasus. At Tiflis he was connected with the Finance and Supply Section. Transferred to Alexandropol in October, 1921, he was later appointed District Commander at Kazachi Post, and in the summer of 1922 was Acting Director General. In January, 1923, he was in Greece as business manager of the Medical Department. Later he was for several months in charge of seven small refugee camps in Constantinople, and in the Fall of 1923 returned to New York, where he is still connected with Near East Relief, in the Foreign Department, 151 Fifth Avenue.
of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., signed with Near East Relief in Paris, November 8, 1919, for transportation service. He was stationed at Alexandropol and later at Harpoot, sailing for America, October 14, 1921. He may be addressed, 19 West 96th Street, New York City.
(Miss), of Somerville, Mass., a former A.B.C.F.M. Missionary, sailed on the “Leviathan” and went to Ismid where she started an orphanage which grew under her care for three years. She returned to America June 16, 1922, and is now attached to the Near East Relief Wisconsin Office, 930 Caswell Block, Milwaukee, Wis.
(Miss), of New York City, started overseas on February 16, 1919, and was detailed to Urfa. Her experiences, told in her book “Between the Lines,” included the directorship of a crowded orphanage and its management throughout the siege of the town when Turks and French fought fiercely and the Near East Relief people were cut off from supplies and food. In 1921 she moved the children to Syria. In July, 1922, she reached America. Miss Holmes received the Croix de Guerre with palm in acknowledgement of her aid to the French in Urfa. At the moment she is living in New York City (2064 Harrison Avenue, the Bronx), and giving addresses for Near East Relief.
(Miss), of Washington, D. C., signed with Near East Relief at Belgrade on April 6, 1922. Arrived in Constantinople she sailed at once for the Caucasus. She served at Deikan and in the Seversky Barracks, Alexandropol and came to America October 1, 1923. At present Miss Hollenbeck is attached to the American Hospital, Constantinople (Pera), in charge of the Training School for Nurses and giving course in Public Health.
(Mrs. W. J.), of Swainsboro, Ga., went with the “Leviathan” party. She did secretarial work in Constantinople and came back June 12, 1920. She is now manager of the Commercial Department and Secretary to an attorney in Swainsboro, Ga.
(Mrs. Frank Leslie), of Kankakee, Ill., went over in early 1920, and was assigned to take charge of industrial work in Constantinople. She remained for 2 ½ years, working out with Miss Sheltman in Constantinople many plans for the aid of refugee women. See above.
of Lorton, Va., went across July 22, 1920, to Constantinople where he served in the Transportation and Supply Department until July, 1921, when he returned to the United States. Private business took him back to Tiflis, and on July 1, 1922, he married Kathryn Paddock, a Near East Relief worker in Constantinople. Mr. Hinkle is now in business in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where he and Mrs. Hinkle may be addressed care the American Consul.
(Miss), of Spartanburg, S.C., classed as a bacteriologist, went with the “Leviathan” party. She was assigned to Harpoot. She returned to America June 18, 1920, and is now engaged in research work in Baltimore, Md. Her address is 1728 St. Paul Street.
(Captain), of Indianapolis, signed with Near East Relief in Constantinople on September 3, 1919, and was assigned to Tiflis. He worked in the Caucasus until his return to America, March 6, 1920. On June 4, 1921, he sailed on the “Providence” to do news work for Near East Relief. Returning in October, 1921, he was in charge of the Publicity Department, Near East Relief. He is now American representative of the Russian Red Cross, his address being 156 Fifth Avenue, New York City.
(Miss), of New York City, left for Konia on February 16, 1919. She returned March 18, 1920, and may be addressed 127 East 21st Street, New York City.
of Denbigh, Virginia, was taken across on the “Pensacola,” January 25, 1919. He did farm supervision and orphanage work in the Beirut Area, serving about two years and coming back in December, 1920. He is now a professor in Hesston College, Hesston, Kansas.
(Miss), went with the Smith Unit of workers supported by Smith College on the “Leviathan” on February 16, 1919. She was assigned to Erivan and worked at Etchmiadzin. June, 1920, found her Director of the Unit at Adana where she was under fire in the summer of 1920 and on January 1, 1921, she left Constantinople on her return to the States which she reached on the last day of the month. She is now teaching in Amherst, Mass., her former home.
(Mrs.), of Spokane, Wash., sailed on February 16, 1919, and did administrative work in Smyrna. In March, 1920, she was transferred to the Y.M.C.A. at Athens. On December 4, 1920, she returned to the United States. Mrs. Headlee is now living at Laguna Beach, Calif., where she is Curator of the Art Gallery and art editor of “Laguna Life.”
of North Cambridge, Mass., started overseas February 28, 1920, and was sent to the Caucasus. When the Kars orphans were sent to Alexandropol he was one of the party that traveled to Constantinople by railway wagon and steamer via Erzerum and Trebizond. He returned to America in the early summer of 1921 and my now be addressed P.O. Box 99, Framingham, Mass.
of Caldwell, Idaho, sailed on January 25, 1919. He did relief work in Sivas. He was there for about 3 ½ years, a companion of C. C. Thurber in the bitter days when the Turks forbade the Americans to aid the refugees and those more strenuous days when they were permitted to give help and found their hospitals and orphanages over-filled with the suffering deportees. In June, 1922, Mr. Hawkes started for America, staying over at Oberammergan on the way. He reached America July 16, 1922. He returned to the Near East under an April, 1923 appointment of the A. B. C. F. M. assigned to a boys’ school in Salonica, Greece. Address, care American Board of Commissioners of Foreign Missions, 14 Beacon Street, Boston, Mass.
(Miss), of Boston, Mass., and Spencer, Iowa, sailed on June 3, 1920, with a Wellesley group. Work done during her first enlistment covered the inspection of orphanages in the Constantinople area, medical-social work with the Medical Department and with the Case Committee. In the Spring and Summer of1921 Miss Hastings was on furlough in Bulgaria, Rumania and the United States, returning to Constantinople in late November. In early 1922 she was in charge of an orphanage for Greek boys on the Island of Prinkopo. With the transfer of the Near East Relief orphans to Greece, Miss Hastings became Orphanage Director of the Athens Area, a position which she held from soon after Smyrna until May, 1924. She may be addressed Spencer, Iowa.
(Col.), of Albany, N. Y., was sent to Armenia in July, 1919, by the Committee of Five of the Peace Conference to stabilize the post-war situation as far as possible. He took over the activities of existing relief organizations including Near East Relief. At the end of a year (July, 1920) he closed the work, handing over the orphanages and hospitals to the Near East Relief and on August 13, 1920, he left Constantinople for Paris. From August, 1921, to August, 1923, Col. Haskell acted as Director of the American Relief Administration in Russia and was loaned to the Red Cross for a month’s handling of the refugees in Greece. His address is 1821 16th Street, N.W., Washington, D. C.
(Miss), left America with the “Leviathan” party, and was assigned to Smyrna to do relief and industrial work. She arrived in Constantinople from Smyrna April 2, 1920, and took charge of the Acorne Shop. She severed her connection with Near East Relief in June, 1920. She may be addressed at Orono, Maine.
(Mrs. Leonard R.) of New York City, sailed with her husband on the “King Alexander” and worked with him in the Caucasus as secretary and interpreter. Her return and address are as above.
of New York City, head of the Department of Horticulture at Farmingdale, N.Y., went overseas February 1, 1922, and was assigned to the Caucasus to develop the agricultural work there. Temporarily at Tiflis in the spring of 1922, he was attached to the Polygon Post at Alexandropol in August of that year. His activities included the management of the orphanage farms, of a farm experiment station and a farm colony. Released in the spring of 1924 he reached America April 28, 1924. His address is 1446 East 27th Street, Brooklyn, N.Y.
(Miss), of Albany, N.Y., sailed on the “Leviathan” February 16, 1919, and did orphan investigation during April and May, 1919, at Marash whence she was transferred to Aintab. After the siege began in April, 1920, she and several others managed to reach Aleppo under military escort, on April 23. She reached America July 23, 1920. Miss Harris is now studying in Boston, Mass., her address being 87 St. Stephen Street.
(Mrs. B. M.), of Piscayune, Miss., left on November 5, 1919, for hospital work at Karaklis. Married to Dr. Harmon she now lists herself as “Housewife.” Address as above.
of New Jersey, crossed with the “Leviathan” party February 16, 1919, and was billeted to the Caucasus. There he served as physician at Tiflis, Shusha and Karaklis, at the latter place meeting his future wife, Mrs. Willie Maye Hunter. They were married in May, 1920, and returned by way of France to America which they reached July 9, 1920. Dr. Harmon Is now Superintendent of the Essex Mountain Sanitarium, Verona, N.J.
enlisted at Geneva, December, 1922, and was assigned to Athens. He was sent to Syra in charge of construction work on the new orphanage buildings on that island. Because of illness he returned May 1, 1923, and is now doing secretarial work in Chicago. His address is 7056 Eggleston Avenue.
(Miss), selected by the Y. W. C. A. as an expert in recreational work under an arrangement with Near East Relief, reached Constantinople in September, 1922. In December, 1922, Miss Halsey took several hundred children across to Loutraki. During the succeeding months she organized and supervised recreation in all the Near East Relief orphanages in Greece. Letters addressed to 31 Denton Road, Wellesley, Mass., will be forwarded to her.
(Mrs. L. H.), of Claremont, Calif., sailed on February 16, 1919. She served at Kars and Alexandropol (January, 1920) and returned to America in the summer of 1920. She is now Mrs. J. H. Hahn and is living at El Monte, Calif.
(Mrs. Edmund E.), signed at Constantinople for secretarial work at Tiflis. She reached the Caucasus September 7, 1919, and married Mr. Hadley during the following February. See above.
of New York City, went over on January 15, 1919, to do publicity work. He was stationed at Batoum and at Tiflis, where he married Miss Marguerite Feys on February 30, 1920. They left Constantinople on February 18, 1920, and reached America April 10, 1920. They are now living in Stillwater, Okla., where Mr. Hadley is Director of Publicity for the A. & M. College.