of the Ambulance Service in France, and a first lieutenant in the United States Air Service, sailed for Constantinople on the S.S. Panonia on Nov. 10, 1920. The New Near East magazine, Dec. 1920.
spent six years as a Near East Relief worker in various locations. She was the supervisor of supplies at the Kazachi Post factory, insuring that the workers had the raw materials to sew clothing for 15,000 orphans. When Ewald returned to the U.S., she agreed to serve as the American director of Near East Industries — a Near East Relief subsidiary dedicated to employing refugee women and selling their handcrafts. You can read more in Every Stitch a Story: Near East Industries.
of Lansing, Michigan, was appointed to mission work on October 4, 1886. He sailed September 10, 1887, for East Persia, where he died on May 30, 1918. He served at Teheran from 1887 t o 1911 and at Meshed from 1911 to 1918. He was a pioneer relief worker and died of typhoid fever contracted during the epidemic which accompanied the war-time famine in Persia.
of Framingham, Mass., was one of the first Near East Relief workers to go in to Syria. Prior to the war he had been engaged in mission work in Turkey. The party, of which he was a member, started out from Constantinople over the Bagdad railroad in the spring of 1919. They traveled in box cars and during the long, slow trip over the mountains Dr. Emrich contracted a severe cold, which developed into pneumonia and he died on May 4, 1919, at Aleppo.
(Miss), of Franklin, N.Y., sailed on February 16, 1919, with the Wellesley Unit. In September, 1920 she was head of the Personnel House in Constantinople, but her service was chiefly as director of the Broussa Unit in the town where the Wellesley Fund was expended. During the three years of her connection with Broussa Miss Everett developed the schools, expanded the industrial activities, aided the refugees driven from their homes by the Nationalist uprising, trained 1,300 orphans, and aided in the transfer of several hundreds to the Near East Relief orphanage in Bardizag. She was decorated by the Greek Red Cross in 1921. In June, 1920 she was in Bulgaria for a short time. March 13, 1922 saw her started from Constantinople fro America. She is now living at 76 Hoyle Street, Norwood, Mass., doing some class teaching.
(Mrs. Frederic), was living in Niagara Falls, Canada, when she signed with Near East Relief to go across on February 16, 1919. She did nursing at Shuf in Syria and later at Sidon. Now attending to her duties as Mrs. Frederic Evenson, she is living at 35 Chestnut Street, Liberty, N. Y.
(Mrs.) of Altoona, Pennsylvania, went overseas on February 16, 1919, to do hospital work in the Caucasus. She served at Erivan and Etchmiadzin and returned to the United States in June, 1920. Her address is 729 Second Avenue, Juanita Station, Altoona, Pennsylvania.
(Mrs. R. S.), of Framingham, Mass., sailed on May 12, 1921, for Constantinople where she did case work among the widowed mothers, Armenian, Greek, Turkish, Jewish, Syrian, and Chaldean, and carried on a day nursery for the babies of employed mothers. In July, 1922 she represented Near East Relief at the Y.W.C.A. International World Commission, Austria. On September 28, 1922, she returned to New York. She is now National Director of Women’s Organizations at National Headquarters, Near East Relief. Her home address is 84 22nd Street, Elmhurst, Long Island, N. Y.
of Washington, D. C., went across to do secretarial and general administrative work in the Caucasus. He worked with Col. Haskell, was at Tiflis in the autumn of 1920 and returned to America December 13, 1920. His address is 5026 Jewett Street, N. W., Washington, D. C.
of Benton Harbor, Mich., steamed on February 16, 1919. She headed the Marash unit, May 17, 1919. On January 21, 1920, the Turks broke loose in the town. Dr. Elliott evacuated the hospital on the night of February 10. She went out with the French, two nurses a worker, one Y.M.C.A. man (Mr. Crathern) and 5,000 refugees, half of whom died from exposure to cold and snow before the end of the three days’ march. On May 23, 1920, Dr. Elliott returned to America. Going back five months later under an arrangement between Near East Relief and the American Women’s Hospitals, Dr. Elliott in January, 1921, established at Ismid an up-to-date hospital with attached clinics, nurses’ training classes and a soup kitchen. At the beginning of September, 1921, she went to the Caucasus on a medical inspection trip. Returning to Ismid she transferred her personal work in October, 1921 to the Caucasus. Immediately after the Smyrna disaster (September, 1922) she was sent to Mitylene to aid the refugees who managed to reach that island. In November, 1922 she was made medical director of Near East Relief in Greece, establishing seven Near East Relief hospitals and many clinics in various parts of Greece and the islands. She was appointed by the Greek government to carry on a quarantine station on Macronissi Island for the refugees from Anatolia. Greece has decorated Dr. Elliott with the Silver Cross of St. George, the Gold Cross of St. George, and the Greek Croix de Guerre. She returned to America October 1, 1923. Since then she has been speaking for Near East Relief in many states. She may be addressed care Near East Relief, 151 Fifth Avenue, New York City.
(Miss), who signed on from Camp Devens, Ayer, Mass., registered for social work and crossed with the “Leviathan” party. She was sent to Tarsus where Near East Relief then had a relief station and orphanage. She served later at Adana. July 10, 1920 was the date of her departure from Constantinople for home. She is now Educational Secretary for the Y. W. C. A., her address being 37 ½ Beacon Street, Boston, Mass.
of Iowa, served as Director of Transportation at Aleppo. He may be addressed at Albia, IA.
of Tidioute, Pennsylvania, a Y. M. C. A. worker recruited on the field for Near East Relief, was associated with John Arroll in the early work of the organization in the Caucasus. Hew as stationed at Erivan and his activities covered much ground. He returned to America in early 1920. He is now in Persia for the Presbyterian Board of Missions in whose care he may be addressed.
(Miss), of Ithaca, N.Y., was a passenger on the “Siboney” on February 28, 1920. She was in Dr. Peet’s office in Constantinople in June 1920. 1921 found her in the Beirut Area in May, serving in Aleppo in October, and attached to Beirut Headquarters in March 1922. November 3, 1922 saw her once more in America. She is now in New York, her address being 137 West 80th Street, and her work being stenographic.
(Miss), of Simsbury, Connecticut, sailed June 24, 1919, to do hospital work. Her assignment was Mardin. She was in Aintab during the siege and in Beirut in August of 1920, leaving Beirut on September 30 for America, which she reached November 12, 1921. She is now living in Simsbury, Connecticut and doing nursing.
ECKMAN, ELMER A., of New York City, started across on February 29, 1920. Assigned to the Caucasus Area, he served at Alexandropol and Kars and after a trip to Constantinople left fro Tiflis February 24, 1921. In April of the same year he was made Regulating Officer at Batoum. August, 1921 found him Acting Director of the Caucasus Area and two months later he became Assistant Director General of the Area. In the summer of 1921, he left the Near East and traveled through Europe, reaching America August, 1923. He is now with the Provident Mutual Life Insurance Company in Minneapolis, MI, his address being the Buckingham Hotel.
ECKERT, ELIZABETH A. (Miss), of Bolton, Mass., crossed on February 16, 1919, to do secretarial work in the Beirut Area. She returned on September 12, 1920. She is now at Hsiku, Tientsin, China, where she may be addressed care Mr. Robert Chandler, American Board of Missions.
(Rev.), of Chicago, Illinois, went overseas on July 1, 1919. He acted as farming director of the Syrian orphanage in Aleppo, where he arrived in August 1919. In November he went to Jerusalem and in the following August he was made Director of the Schneller Orphanage. After a year in that position he came back to the States on August 27. 1921. Rev. Mr. Eash is now pastor of the 26th Street Mennonite Church at 720 West 26th Street, Chicago, Illinois.